Welcome to a wonderfully, satisfying blog especially brewed for women who want to fulfill their dreams to be small business owners, while still enjoying the good life.  

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

She's Living Her Dream: Interview with Harrine Freeman

Today, I welcome Harrine Freeman, CEO/owner of H. E. Freeman Enterprises Credit Repair Counseling and Personal Financial Services.  Harrine has over thirteen years personal finance counseling experience and has helped thousands of customers develop good money management skills and increase their credit scores.

Why did you decide to go into business for yourself?
Even though I come from a family of entrepreneurs, I didn't think I would ever be my own boss.  I actually got the idea from a friend who suggested I should help other people manage their money and credit after she witnessed how I was able to overcome a serious financial setback.

Although I’ve always been good with saving money, I didn’t understand the repercussions of over-extending credit; and I quickly accumulated 13 credit cards and found myself in $19, 000 worth of debt when I graduated from college.  Fortunately, I was able to repair my credit score and was debt-free after 4 years of intensive savings and adhering to disciplined payment schedules.

I decided to write, How To Get Out of Debt: Get an “A” Credit Rating for Free Using the System I’ve Used Successfully with Thousands of Clients because there were limited resources available to help me navigate through my financial woes.  My books offers step-by-step details on how to repair your credit, get out of debt, how to create your own flexible spending plan and how to maintain good credit without having to go to a credit counseling agency or filing for bankruptcy.

What was your biggest challenge starting out?
As you know, males dominate the financial industryso it was very difficult for me to build credibility.  It was only after I started to attend various business and networking functions, speak at seminars, and establish myself as an expert - that I was able to gain respect from peers and potential customers. 

I still face some discrimination, but not to the degree when I first started out.  

How has this lagging economy affected business and your clients?
After the recession hit, my business slowed noticeably.  This may seem ironic considering there are more people now, than ever before who need credit repair services.  People have been losing their jobs and homes in record numbers and are finding it difficult to pay their bills - resulting in bad credit.    

Prior to the recession, people had (or there was “the illusion of”) extra money for my services.  Today, other priorities take the lead such as the mortgage, car notes and food.  Repairing a poor credit report is put on the back burner.

To make matters worse, some employers are using credit scores as a barometer for hiring - making the job search for many of my current and potential clients more difficult. 

What is the one characteristic that aspiring female entrepreneurs should possess?
There are a number of characteristics that women business owners should have such as integrity and strong leadership/time management skills.  However, I think the ability to give excellent customer service is paramount. 

When you’re in business for yourself, it's important to always provide superior customer service.  People tend to overlook areas you may not excel in when you go that extra mile to give good service.  I'm not saying that customers will dismiss any shortcomings, but they won’t criticize you as much when you're helpful. 

Showing customers that you care will bring referrals and help your business to grow.

What is your passion?
Helping people is my passion.  Knowing that I’ve made somebody’s situation better makes all the difference.

What brings you joy during the workday?
Drinking herbal tea.   

2 comments: