Welcome to a wonderfully, satisfying blog especially brewed for women who want to fulfill their dreams to be small business owners, while still enjoying the good life.  

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Do What You Love

Passion: An intense portion of enthusiasm, mixed with a delicate blend of affection and desire. Sure to be a favorite and “must have” for small business owners. 

When I decided to take a break from corporate America to start my own small business, one of the first questions that came to mind was, “What am I getting myself into?” 

Sure, I was excited about venturing into the world of entrepreneurship, but the idea of being my own boss was quite daunting.  

I suddenly found myself lost in a maze of uncertainty - and what started out as one simple question, quickly multiplied into a cyclone of unknowns… What should I do first?  How will I get financing? Do I need a business plan?

And, most importantly – what business will I start?

I knew I wanted to try something a little different, but trying to define what that certain “something” was, proved to more difficult than I thought.

So, I considered my possibilities…

What about a landscaping business to complement my green thumb?  I even looked into opening a coffee shop to sell chai teas, specialty coffees and gourmet sweets.

Even though a number of ideas came to mind of small businesses I could start; none of these “great” ventures truly excited me.  Firecrackers failed to ignite.  Stars didn’t twinkle in my eyes.  What was missing?

I realized that my startup ideas lacked one very special ingredient – passion.

Passion gives you the enthusiasm needed to stick with whatever venture you pursue.  It’s that excitement (along with a lot of hard work and determination) that makes entrepreneurs spark with zest.  After delving deep within myself, I found my true passion in business copywriting.

To find your passion:

1. Identify your talents - Are you creative and good with sculpting clay? Do you have a knack for public speaking? Perhaps you are a whiz with numbers.  Offer a pottery class to the elderly or sell clay pots at a local boutique.  Define your skills and uncover unlimited opportunities.

2. List what you enjoy doing - Do you have a hobby or is there something you would do all day, every day if you had the chance?  With careful planning, you can make a little extra cash doing what you love.

3. Brainstorm - If nothing comes to mind immediately, start with a clean slate and let your creative juices flow.  Write down whatever comes to you - be creative.  There are no bad ideas, only limited imaginations.

4. Find a mentor - Seek advice from people who are living their passion.  Use their personal experiences and guidance to help you uncover hidden possibilities.

5. Give it a try - Put your idea to the test first.  Before making a long-term commitment, work on it part-time or take it up as a hobby.  If your passion doesn’t fizzle away after a few months, you may have found your calling.

Discovering your passion takes patience and a lot of hard work…but the end result is a life that’s truly more satisfying.  Success is within reach – just grab it!  

- All the best

No comments:

Post a Comment